Are you interested in the Poodle Dog Breed? We have all you need to know about the Poodle and its statistics , including Poodle Breed Standards, Poodle Breed History, and the best directory of Poodle Breeders.
Finest Dog Breeders is your go to place for information on All Dog Breeds.
Below you will find the Poodle Breed Standards and requirements for this breed in the major Dog Kennel Clubs such as UKC and the AKC.
- Overall Appearance: The poodle (no matter the variety) is very active, intelligent and elegant appearing dog, squarely built, well proportioned, moving soundly and carrying himself proudly.
- Head: Eyes are very dark, oval in shape (never round) and far set – creating an alert and intelligent expression. Ears hang close to the head, at or slightly below eye level. The skull is rounded with a slight stop. The muzzle is long, straight and fine, chiseled under the eyes. Black, blue, gray, silver, cream and white Poodles have black noses, eye-rims and lips, black or self colored toenails and very dark eyes. In the apricots black noses are preferred, liver-colored noses, eye-rims and lips, and amber eyes are permitted with some coat colors, but are not desirable.
- Neck and Body: The Poodle’s neck well proportioned, strong and long enough to permit the head to be
carried high. The topline is level, neither sloping nor roached. The chest is deep and wide.
- Tail: The Poodle’s tail is straight, set on high and carried up, docked of sufficient length to insure a balanced outline.
- Forequarters and Hindquarters: Strong, smoothly muscled shoulders. Hind Legs are straight and parallel when viewed from behind. Muscular around the stifles.
- Coat: Harsh textured, curly and dense.
- Color: Poodles come in solid colors – black, blue, gray, silver, cream, white, brown and cafe-au-lait with no white markings or other markings.
- Gait: The Poodle’s gait is light, springy and straightforward.
- Size: Standard Poodles (male and female) are over 15 inches at the withers. The Miniature Poodle ranges from 10-15 inches, while the Toy Poodle is 10 inches or under.
- Temperament: Proud, very active, intelligent and never shy.
Poodle Breed History
The Poodle was introduced by AKC in 1887. The breed’s origins are that of a (duck) retrieving dog from Germany.
List of Poodle Breeders
Below is a list of Poodle Breeders, check back often for new kennels.