Are you interested in the American Pit Bull Terrier Dog Breed? We have all you need to know about the American Pit Bull Terrier and its statistics , including American Pit Bull Terrier Breed Standards, American Pit Bull Terrier Breed History, and the best directory of American Pit Bull Terrier Breeders.
Finest Dog Breeders is your go to place for information on All Dog Breeds.
Below you will find the American Pit Bull Terrier Breed Standards and requirements for this breed in the major Dog Kennel Clubs such as UKC and the AKC.
- Overall Appearance and Characteristics: The American Pit Bull Terrier is solidly built, short-coated, and of medium size. Muscular and agile, this breed is both powerful and athletic. Aggressive behavior toward humans not a characteristic of the breed and highly undesirable, however most APBTs exhibit some level of dog aggression.
- Head: The APBTs head is of medium length, with a broad, flat skull, and a wide, deep muzzle. Ears are small to medium in size, high set, and may be natural or cropped. Bat ears, pricked ears, and wide ears are common, but not desired. The nose is wide with open nostrils, and can be any color. Eyes are medium sized, round and set well apart and low on the skull. All eye colors are allowed except blue.
- Neck and Body: The neck of the American Pit Bull Terrier is of average length and muscular. There is a slight arch at the base. The neck widens gradually from where it joins the skull to where it blends into the shoulders. The skin on the neck is tight and without looseness. The chest is deep and pretty wide with ample room for heart and lungs. The back is strong inclines very slightly downward from the shoulders to a broad, muscular, level back.
- Tail: The tail is set follows a incline of the topline, and tapers to a point. When the dog is relaxed, the tail is carried low and extends approximately to the hock. The tail should never be longer than the hock or curled (gay).
- Forequarters and Hindquarters: The forelegs are strong and muscular with close-set elbows. The shoulder blades are long, wide, muscular. The hindquarters are strong, muscular, and pretty broad.
- Coat: The coat is hard, smooth, and glossy.
- Color: Any color or pattern is allowed except for merle.
- Gait: The Pitbull’s gait is effortless, smooth, confident, excited, and powerful.
- Size: Height range for adult males is from 18 to 21 inches at the shoulders; for adult females it is from 17 to 20 inches at the withers.
- Temperament: Medium to high energy, may exhibit prey drive towards small animals. May exhibit dog aggression and/or same gender aggression. Loyal, motivated, and never human aggressive.
American Pit Bull Terrier Breed History
The American Pit Bull Terrier was recognized by the United Kennel Club (UKC) in 1898. They are theorized to be crosses of Bulldogs and Terriers from England, Ireland and Scotland.
List of American Pit Bull Terrier Breeders
Below is a list of American Pit Bull Terrier Breeders, check back often for new kennels.
Coyote Pitbulls – XL Pitbull Kennel Based Out of Florida.
Joco’s Kennel – XL Pitbull Kennel Based Out of North Carolina.
Riverside County Pitbulls – XL Pitbull Kennel Based Out of California.
Black Smoke Bullies – XL Pitbull Kennel Based Out of Canada.